An historical time line for the village of Wistow from its early beginnings to the present day.
974 – Royal Charter
This is the first official record of Wistow village in a royal charter from King Edgar on 28 December 974 to Ramsey Abbey, confirming and granting privileges and land, of which Wistow was included.
King Edgar to Ramsey Abbey; confirmation and grant of privileges and of land at Ramsey, Upwood with Raveley, Hemingford, Sawtry, Stukeley, Brington and Old Weston, Hunts.; Hilgay and Walsoken, Norfolk; fish from Wells, Norfolk; land at Brancaster, Norfolk; at Warboys, Kingston that is Wistow with Raveley and Biri berewicis (Bury), and at Slepam (St Ives), Hunts.; at Chatteris and Elsworth, Cambs.; at Whiston and Isham, Northants.; at Houghton, Wyton, Ripton, Ellington, Bythorn, Hunts.; at Graveley, Cambs.; and at Dillington, Great Staughton and Yelling, Hunts.
1086 – The Domesday Book
In WISTOU the Abbot of Ramsey had 9 hides to the geld. [There is] land for 16 ploughs, and [he had] land for 3 ploughs demesne, apart from these hides. There are now 2 ploughs in demesne: and 32 villans having 11 ploughs. There is a priest and a church, and 1 mill [rendering] 2s, and 24 acres of meadow, [and] woodland pasture 1 league long and a half broad. TRE worth £9: now £8.
Extract from Samuel Lewis’ Topographical Gazeetter
WISTOW, a parish in the hundred of HURSTINGSTONE, county of HUNTINGDON, 3¾ miles (S.S.W.) from Ramsey, containing 352 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Huntingdon, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king’s books at £10, 17.8½ and in the patronage of J. Torkington, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist.