Wistow Village

The village and parish of Wistow, Cambridgeshire

21 September 2017

Wistow Village History

An historical time line for the village of Wistow from its early beginnings to the present day.

974 - Royal Charter

This is the first official record of Wistow village in a royal charter from King Edgar on 28 December 974 to Ramsey Abbey, confirming and granting privileges and land, of which Wistow was included.

King Edgar to Ramsey Abbey; confirmation and grant of privileges and of land at Ramsey, Upwood with Raveley, Hemingford, Sawtry, Stukeley, Brington and Old Weston, Hunts.; Hilgay and Walsoken, Norfolk; fish from Wells, Norfolk; land at Brancaster, Norfolk; at Warboys, Kingston that is Wistow with Raveley and Biri berewicis (Bury), and at Slepam (St Ives), Hunts.; at Chatteris and Elsworth, Cambs.; at Whiston and Isham, Northants.; at Houghton, Wyton, Ripton, Ellington, Bythorn, Hunts.; at Graveley, Cambs.; and at Dillington, Great Staughton and Yelling, Hunts.

1086 - The Domesday Book

The Domesday Book

In WISTOU the Abbot of Ramsey had 9 hides to the geld. [There is] land for 16 ploughs, and [he had] land for 3 ploughs demesne, apart from these hides. There are now 2 ploughs in demesne: and 32 villans having 11 ploughs. There is a priest and a church, and 1 mill [rendering] 2s, and 24 acres of meadow, [and] woodland pasture 1 league long and a half broad. TRE worth £9: now £8.

1831

Extract from Samuel Lewis’ Topographical Gazeetter

WISTOW, a parish in the hundred of HURSTINGSTONE, county of HUNTINGDON, 3 miles (S.S.W.) from Ramsey, containing 352 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Huntingdon, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king's books at £10, 17.8 and in the patronage of J. Torkington, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist.

More Wistow History...


Go to the Home Page     View page in Print Format