From Patsy Coles Deeds of Porch House, Manor Street, Wistow
The oldest papers come from 1786, when the property was simply known as ‘the land almost nearly opposite the Manor House in Wistow.’
List of documents found:-
1786- Stanhope Pedley (lord of the manor) passed it to John Green.
1787- It was leased to Moses Joy, the local blacksmith, who worked for Daniel Bohagg.
1800- Moses Joy passed it to Thomas Robinson, with William Fisher as Trustee.
1808- Sir Walter Stirling and Richard Wallis passed it to William Dring and Henry Sweeting the younger (?may have been a trustee)
1816- John Dring passed it to Edward Johnson, who were workers for John Sherman and John Williams (John Dring marked the document with a ‘x’ – ? illiterate)
1834- Henry Foley was now lord of the manor, with Edward Western as Deputy Steward and James Western as Chief Steward.
The property was divided into several dwellings occupied by Edward Road, William Fletcher, Joseph Smeddows, John Jackson, Thomas Cooper-Nettleton and Faithful Chapman (a man) of Wistow (Innkeeper of the Plough Inn, Wistow)
1846- Henry Foley was Lord of the Manor of the Plough Inn, with Edward Western as Deputy Steward and James Western as Chief Steward. The tenants now were Joseph Smeadows, William Shepperson (carpenter), William Moulds, Jonas Samworth, Thomas Cooper-Nettleton, and John Macer.
1874- The road was now known as Manor House Street. John Thomas Shepperson (carpenter) passed it to Edward Fellowes. Frederick Robert Serjeant was Deputy Steward. Both William Henry Fellowes and Mr Fisher William Macer were reported as deceased.
1891- Edward Western now listed as Steward, and Elizabeth August Foley was Lady of the Manor. Elizabeth Shepperson (widow of William Shepperson) and formerly Elizabeth Mary Day mentioned, with tenants of Jackson Buddle, William Turnill, George Turnill and George Phillips.
Another document in 1891, talks of an Award of Enfranchisement (under the Copyhold Act of 1852), where John Thomas Shepperson got some Compensation Money.
1892- Elizabeth Shepperson was allowed to live in the property, until she died in 1896. Edward Foreman, a builder from London, bought the now four tenements, he was the nephew of Mrs Shepperson.
1899- Albert Gibson was Steward of the Manor now.
1906- Edward Foreman deceased, executors were William Arthur Foreman and Edward James Knowles Foreman of Great Raveley. Also mentioned in document were John and Mary Ann Harrity. Road still called Manor House Street, but had also been called Town Street at some point. The current tenants mentioned were Thomas Peach, George Sansome, Arthur Willows, with one empty tenement.
1933- The current tenants were Walter Smith, Ben Baker, Mrs Taylor and ?Mr or Mrs Upchurch.
1935- Mary Ann Hanritty Deceased, and passed it in her will to Sarah Jane Agger (?her daughter). It was now known as Porch House.
1961- Sarah Jane Agger deceased.
1963- Mrs Doris Jenny Fawkes inherited it and sold it to Fred Kilpack Peacock. It was still four tenements, and the street was still known as Manor House Street.
1964- Fred Peacock passed it to Elizabeth Mary Hartley.
1965- Another document showing that Mrs Hartley owned it.
1992- Mr and Mrs Coles bought it from Mrs Hartley.